[bsdcan-announce] BSDCan Acquired By Oracle

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Tue Apr 1 10:10:37 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm delighted to announce that Oracle has acquired BSDCan.

I've run BSDCan as a hobby for years now, and while it has become the
foremost BSD conference in the Western Hemisphere, I've always felt
that it could be bigger and better. Serious corporate backing could
move us out of the University of Ottawa and into a real conference
center, with big screens, better meals, serious swag, and real keynote
speakers.

Oracle is a perfect fit for that type of conference experience. Oracle
takes over entire city blocks for Oracle OpenWorld <http://www.oracle.com/openworld/index.html>.
Oracle BSDCan will be *the premier BSD event, not
just for the Western Hemisphere but the entire world.

Oracle will make some changes to the traditional BSDCan format, of
course. Growth requires changes.

First and foremost, Oracle is investing serious attention in Oracle
BSDCan. The keynote will be from Oracle CEO Larry Ellison (footnote:
or his assigned delegate), on Friday from 9 AM to 3PM.

Oracle BSDCan will have new presentations and new events, of
course. I've heard a few of the titles, such as "Painless Migrations
to Oracle Linux" and "Stealing BSD Code for Profit and Profit."
Attendees will receive free MySQL licenses. And you'll want to catch
the Friday Night Bonfire, where OpenAFS and Postgres will be burned in
effigy.

Oracle has innovative ideas to improve the conference experiences,
such as the Pub Crawl Flunky Support Contract, where $150
gets you all the beer you can drink for the two days of the event. For
a modest hourly fee, you can get a flunky to fetch the drinks for you.

You'll need to re-register for Oracle BSDCan at http://2014.oracle.bsdcan.com
Existing registrations are no longer valid. Be sure to install the latest version of
Java before registering!

Sadly, I won't attend Oracle BSDCan this year. They've asked me to
step aside and let the new leadership take charge. I'll be mountain
biking in Tahiti instead.

Oracle has also purchased PGCon effective this year. I have yet to hear
anything about their plans for this leading PostgreSQL event.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org