[bsdcan-volunteers] the wireless network

Scott Murphy scott5 at ovsage.org
Wed Apr 23 23:18:55 EDT 2008

Dan Langille wrote:
> remember to reply-all.
>

> On Apr 23, 2008, at 8:28 PM, Nate Montague wrote:
>
>> It answers a fair bit Dan, but leaves a few more questions.  Will we
>> have any switches, keyboards, monitors, network cables, heads,
>> crimpers, and a box or two available, or must I try and bring as much
>> gear as I can to ensure we're covered for potential needs?
>>

> You're positive you'll need all that stuff?  We haven't before.
>

>> Hopefully my other questions get covered by the CSS peoples, I've sent
>> a message via the online form.
>>
>> Nate

Last year we had a small pc running netbsd to act as a gateway and 4
wrt54g boxes loaded with openWRT. I ended up putting one of the access
points in the wiring closet with the PC to act as a switch for the
others. Given the load we had (practically none), I think we could get
away with one wrt54g acting as a broadband router WAN connection side to
the university, inside given a static address and each of the others
given a static address. They would each act as a DHCP server for the
wireless net. You could use a class B non-routable for the inside and
have each of the access points serve 200 addresses - should be more than
enough. You don't use the WAN ports for anything other than the first
one. Feel free to replace letters below with the actual room letters.

DHCP offering gives 172.16.1.1 as gateway.

The following is supposedly in a monospaced font, so the spacing may be
off a bit if it isn't

University Network <---> Router A WAN <-----------+----> Router A LAN
(172.16.1.1) wireless offering 172.16.1.10
                  (X.X.X.X from university)       |
                to 172.16.1.210 via dhcp

                                                  +------Router B LAN
(172.16.2.1) wireless offering 172.16.2.10

                to 172.16.2.210 via dhcp

                                                  +------Router C LAN
(172.16.3.1) wireless offering 172.16.3.10

                                    to 172.16.3.210 via dhcp

                                                  +------Router D LAN
(172.16.4.1) wireless offering 172.16.4.10

                to 172.16.4.210 via dhcp

Scott

--
believed to be clean.