[bsdcan-volunteers] Lists of tasks

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Wed May 8 19:06:04 UTC 2019

Hello,

We have many more volunteers this year than in past years. Welcome, and thanks.

There are a number of things we can do to enhance the conference.

Wed & Thu:

Tutorial sign in:

* 2 morning tutorials, 2 afternoon tutorials
* post a sign on the door identifying the tutorial
* remove signs at end of session (some are half day, some are full day)
* clipboard with list of tutorial attendees
* ask attendees to check off their names as they arrive
* if not signed up, let them attend, but take details so we can charge them later

Registration bag assemble:

* Thursday, at about 13:15 DMS 9161 (9th floor)
* https://www.bsdcan.org/2019/schedule/events/1138.en.html
* first task, transport swag from conference vehicle to the room
* insert swag into registration tote bags via group assembly line
* takes about an hour
* retire to Royal Oak afterwards

Fri & Sat

Gear lugging:

* bring gear from conference vehicle into the lobby
* take it back to the vehicle at the end of the day

Schedules:

* post printed schedule at key locations: near registration desk, near main rooms, etc
* remove schedules at end of each day

Catering (coffee, morning & afternoon breaks):

* tape a sign to the tables indicating they are for BSDCan Conference Attendees only
* gently remind non-conference attendees that they are welcome back after everyone has been fed
* the above issue occurs on a regular basis, but we try to reduce it to zero to ensure attendees are fed first

Catering lunch:

* please make sure plates are at the opposite end of the table from the cutlery and napkins
* lines extends past the information booth back towards Waller St
* ensure access to the information booth is not blocked
* ask people not to use the ledge in front of the information booth as a lunch bar.

Speakers:

* Offer a bottle of water to every speaker at the start of the talk (perhaps kept at registration in a cooler)

The 'biggest' tasks are catering related. They require the longest amounts of time in one place.

There will be a volunteer coordinator (yet to be announced) who will be 'in charge'. With so many volunteers, there will be questions and I won't be able to answer them all.

The above list will probably get amended as time goes on.  You could use the wiki (https://wiki.bsdcan.org/) or put it in a Google Doc, for example. Whatever you prefer.

I will post about the coordinator soon.

In the meantime, have a ponder of what you'd like to take on.

Thank you. Your help is appreciated.

--
  Dan Langille
  dan at langille.org